I am trying to decide on going for a Intel Xeon 1230 V2 ivy bridge CPU or i5-3570k/i7-3770k for my home PC/workstation. I understand the basic differences between the Xeons and i5/i7 processors. My CPU will be used for numerical analysis and running 24/7 at times. I will also be using the CPU for occassional gaming and general PC usage.
Is there any advice you can give me in order to help me make a choice between the Xeon and i5/i7 CPU's also if there are any links/documents which compare the CPUs I would be interested in seeing this also.
All the processors are good for the applications you are planning to run, but there are some points and differences you need to take in consideration:
1. The i5-3570K processor doesn’t have Hyper Threading Technology.
2. The i7-3770K processor is faster clock speed ways and Turbo Boost ways.
3. The i5 and i7 processors are unlocked components, which means, that you can play with the multipliers to overclock them. Please take in consideration that run the processor over specifications is not supported, may damage the processor and voids your warranty.
4. The Xeon E3-1230V2 doesn’t have build in graphics.
5. The Xeon E3-1230V2 has Virtualization capabilities and V-pro manageability.
Please check this link to check the differences between them: