Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Intel HD 3000 drivers problem

idata
Employee

Hi, I have Dell n5050 (i3-2370M) with Intel HD Graphics 3000, and I can't install a latest drivers for this graphics.

I download a version for my 64-bit Win7 system, and have this error :

About my card :

So, why I can't install the latest software? Date for now install drivers - 26/03/2011.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
BF_
New Contributor II

Some things you can try:

-Uninstall your existing driver first.

-If you've been trying the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21430&ProdId=3319&lang=eng latest build, try this http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21414&ProdId=3319&lang=eng somewhat older one instead.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yep, a also try some older software, but I still have the same error ;(

0 Kudos
BF_
New Contributor II

But did you try that particular one? Also, the uninstall first may be important due to the way Windows handles device detection.

Failing all that, you should go into Device Manager to find what your hardware ID is for your particular graphics. Then see if it's listed in the .INF file in the driver package.

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Hi Housse

I think what is going on is you have an OEM specific driver installed on your system that is blocking installing the Intel HD Graphics generic driver. There is a way to install the generic driver and overwrite the OEM installed driver however, you must be warned that you will loose any OEM customizations Dell made to the driver specific to your system.

If you want to try the generic driver, follow these steps:

1. Download http://downloadmirror.intel.com/21431/eng/win7_64-152612.zip http://downloadmirror.intel.com/21431/eng/win7_64-152612.zip

2. Extract win7_64-152612.zip to a folder on your desktop.

3. Open Control Panel

4. Open Device Manager

5. Double click on Display Adapters

6. Double click on Intel HD Graphics Family

7. Click on Driver tab

8. Click on Update Driver button

9. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software" option

10. Click on "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" option

11. Click on Have Disk button

12. On the Install From Disk dialog, click Browse

13. In the Locate File dialog, navigate to the folder you extracted the driver to in step 2 above.

14. When you have navigated to that folder, navigate to the Graphics sub-folder

15. In the Graphics sub-folder, you will see the file "igdlh64.inf", double click this file

16. You will then be back at the "Install From Disk" dialog, click OK

17. You will then be back at the "Update Driver Software" dialog, click Next

18. The driver installer will now start, wait for it to complete

19. When the process has completed, close the open Device Manager dialogs and you will be asked to reboot.

20. Reboot and you should be updated.

BF_
New Contributor II

Robert, I've seen Windows balk at that method too if the OEM driver is still installed (it thinks there's a hardware mismatch and won't install). That's why uninstalling it first can be important.

ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Good point and good suggestion. Thanks.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Robert_U wrote:

you must be warned that you will loose any OEM customizations Dell made to the driver specific to your system.

Can you tell more, about this?

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

For example, they may disable rotation, or add specific display timings, just to name a couple. I am not familiar with the specfic modifications for your system however. You can always go to the Dell download site and get the latest driver they have posted for your system and re-install it if the generic does not work as expected.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok, I have a last question - wheter newest (2012) drivers really improve performance comparing to oldest (2011)?

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

That is hard to determine without evaluating the performance on your hardware. You could run tests with the 2011 driver and then update to the 2012 and compare the results. That would give you system specfic numbers that would help you to make a decision on which drivers to use based on your needs.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok, thank you guys for all support

0 Kudos