My technical support number is 8000451358. Apparantly the lady Lyn just close the case and push all the blame to the TV card manufacturer. How amazing !
There are tons of people reporting their TV tuner card stop working on the 7 series motherboard. I had complain from 1st of June 2012 till now not a single bios update has been issued to rectify this problem.
Yes will240, please post your UEFI issue here.
You know why the Intel support tell me no people had reported such issue ? Because this motherboard was launched on around 3rd of May and Intel had 30 days refund and return policy with shop. So whoever call them they just don't bother and direct everyone back to the shop without realising how serious this issue is.
Yes indeed. I pay over 200$ for DZ77GA-70K and i can't even boot Windows in UEFI mode. And Intel tech support is not so very tech. I talk with 3 persons and they tell me i need 3TB HDD for UEFI boot to work, but then a 4th guy suggested me to try a few things but he did not say i need 3TB HDD. Intel should really fix this important thing.
I think the problem is that not many people has Intel motherboard, and some of those who have, doesn't come here to complain. If more people complains, Intel has to do something about it faster.
Even with the above screenshots thrown at their face they still live in complete denial and told me they cannot simulate the UEFI fault.
So many people having PCIe TV tuner card cannot be detected in their latest 7 series I am so kind enough to highlight to them they still leave in denial saying I am the only person in the world with such issue.
Another new fella had just reported PCIe TV tuner issue below. Considering we already have at least 4 cases of member reporting TV Tuner PCIe cannot be detected here and take note the number of TV tuner users are consider very low (maybe out of every 2000 people only 1 person will have a TV tuner card) and consider only 5% of those with problem will report here as the other 95% with problem are not aware of Intel forum existence. Thus 4 cases of people complaining is already consider a very serious issue.
At the rate of complain from all the other various PCIe TV tuner card user + UEFI issue. If Intel still leave in denial I am afraid a lot of your loyal customers will loose faith in your product.
My technical support number is 8000451358. I had already escalate to request for a brand new motherboard replacement with the latest revision for my DH77EB. Kindly proceed with the replacement.
I'm experiencing weird UEFI related booting issues with my DH77KC, too:
1) bios rev. 0069C and 0095: changing uefi settings via efibootmgr doesn't seem to have any effect although my changes are permanently saved - e.g. after changing the boot order the first entry still boots automatically if I don't choose the boot device manually by pressing F10.
2) UEFI boot mode in bios rev. 0069C is flaky:
- UEFI boot option for removable drives show up, but with several drives this option does not do anything - it just leaves me in the boot selection screen
- some boot devices (e.g. Windows Boot Manager) show up twice
3) UEFI boot mode in bios rev. 0095 seems to be almost completely broken:
- no UEFI mode option for removable drives
- boot failures of all my installed efi bootloaders (ubuntu, windows 7 64bit)
Do you guys have any idea how to remedy this?
The latest 0075 bios is uploaded and sadly it cannot resolve the UEFI issue. Really disappointed with this. I had tested it personally. It takes me only 10 mins to test. May be I should become the Quality Control and Tester officer for Intel. Whoever tested and approve this bios should be hang seriously.