My company primarily uses HP machines but I've been a long time IBM (now Lenovo) fan so I recently had IT purchase me a new Lenovo W520 (product ID 42763LU).
Once the machine arrived I had them do the following:
A general summary of the system is the following:
The machine was a few days delayed getting to me due to "hard drive driver issues" (that's what I was told). When I received the machine I immediately noticed that it was much slower than I expected (I have a custom built i5 HTPC at home running windows 7 on a Crucial SATA III SSD that I was comparing it to) and I was experiencing frequent hangs (ranging from 30 seconds to multiple minutes), super long boot times, general “slowness” at times, and occasional lock-ups. Since our "baseline" laptop here at work is the "equivalent" HP workstation my IT guys have been less than helpful in helping me to solve this issue. Being reasonably computer savvy I decided to try to try to fix the issue myself.I performed the following “troubleshooting” steps:
6. I also fixed a couple of other minor errors I was seeing in the event viewer by disabling benign services and/or making slight timeout modifications (I researched each issue on the internet to verify they were benign before I implemented any changes). These fixes didn't seem to do anything other than make some of the errors/warnings go away. So, the list of errors/warnings has become much smaller but I’m still getting the following (maybe an issue, maybe not?):
7. Since the machine still seemed slow I downloaded the program AS SSD and checked the performance of the SSD. When I compared my performance numbers to the benchmark numbers I found online I was very surprised to discover that I’m getting about 50% of the performance that I should (values below are read/write):
So, I apologize for such a long post but I’ve spent countless hours researching and troubleshooting this problem and haven’t been able to figure out what the heck is wrong here. Am I missing something simple or do you guys think I have a SSD and/or problem with the machine itself? To say that any and all help would be greatly appreciated would be a massive understatement – I’m on the verge of pulling my hair out and I really need this machine working as quickly as possible!
Please let me know if you have any suggestions and/or need additional information. Thanks in advance for your help!
Unfortunately, I can't stop the freezing either in a Lenovo W520 Win7 system with Intel 520 SSD. I have the LMP set to active / active in the windows power options, and the SSD Toolbox says DIPM isn't supported. However, I still had the drive hang in the on state (LED lit) over the weekend. It seems more likely to happen when I login remotely, but it also can happen right after reboot while actively loading up programs (so I don't think any type of power management comes in to play there). Any other ideas on how to fix this? Should I just RMA?
I bought a Lenovo X230 three weeks ago with Intel 520 180Gbyte SSD. I was and is still fast, very fast, however, about 5 days ago Win7, Win8, Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10 began to freeze frequently - like it would hang in half an hour or so when an application is using it intensively like Dropbox is indexing thousands of files. Without heavy load, the system lasts much-much longer.
All I could figure out is that the drive times out with various (s)ATA errors. I replaced the Intel SSD with a Kingston, and the problem is gone. Put the Intel SSD into my old Lenovo netbook, and the problem appeared there, so I guess the problem is really with the SSD.
Too bad Lenovo replaced the original Intel firmware, so I cannot upgrade it from Intel, and Lenovo does not provide any. Since the drive reports itself to be healthy, it could very well be a firmware error.