Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20455 Discussions

Win8 CP, GMA 3600 Drivers crashing under metro

idata
Employee

Hi Guys,

I am using a toshiba WT200 that has an intel GMA3600 video chipset. When you launch metro apps, the sys file from the driver causes a BSOD. I have tried this microsoft OLE fix, but to no avail (see http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w8itprogeneral/thread/b0e4f9a3-4c96-4e6f-9399-71fc5813853c Metro apps won&# 39;t start under consumer preview of Windows 8 )

Is there a beta driver suitable for this device coming, that will alleviate this issue?

Thanks, Chris

242 Replies
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Same issue with me also, I'm running an ASRock AD2700-ITX that has the GMA3650 GPU.

Tested the latest 1077 WHQL driver on Windows 8 CP x86, and every Metro app that launched crashed!, considering that the Cedar Trail platform is likely to be well used under Windows 8 in future, the stability of the current driver is slightly disconcerting to say the least!

It's also a good job that Aero will be consigned to the history books with the final release of Windows 8 now, as this chipset really doesn't seem to perform that well with Aero enabled at all at the moment, even Windows 7 still has performance problems with it.

Saying that, with Aero off, and no Metro apps launched, it isn't too bad really, and at least the hardware video acceleration still seems to be working well.

0 Kudos
BF_
New Contributor II

I'm not sure that's the same problem, since that thread isn't about a BSOD.

I wouldn't worry about this too much, since the Release Preview is coming as soon as June 1st, but what's the context of your current install? Had it been working? Was it an upgrade of the Dev Preview (a very bad idea) or a clean install/Win7 upgrade? Are you fully updated in Windows Update (particularly KB2683474)? KB2680826 might be worth trying too (might only be available as a manual download).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Install is fresh download from USB media. Drivers were all installed using pnputil -i -a *.inf or where applicable, exe was used. I am using the 1077 WHQL driver but have tried 1065 and 1054 to no avail. all is ok where the microsoft builtin driver is used, but with the intel driver - the unit crashes and bluescreens (on most occasions, on others the machine just crashed and requires a cold boot).

I am actually a systems management engineer so I work with drivers most days. I have contacted an engineer at toshiba who is trying to find out information internally frmo their side but from what I can see having researched this for a couple of days now - is the buck stops with the intel driver, or something inside the OLE library within windows 8.

Hoping someone can shed some light on it, because it's driving me batty not being able to use metro applications on my tablet!

Have intel, or do intel intend to release beta drives for this chipset?

0 Kudos
BF_
New Contributor II

But those are Win7 drivers, right? I remember trying to get some of those working (for HD Graphics, not GMA 3600) before Intel finally released a driver here (I wanted OpenGL support), and the results weren't always pretty, so the crashes you're seeing could almost be seen as expected. I might have misread you, but if all is OK with the built-in driver, why try the Win7 one?

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

I think the only workaround is to use the default 'Microsoft Basic Video Adapter' driver to at least get Metro apps to run, obviously that's running on the CPU, so the performance isn't great. But the current Intel GMA 3600/3650 driver is simply broken it seems at the moment.

Hopefully we'll see a working beta driver in the upcoming Release Preview

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

The problem with the Basic Video Adapter under Win8 is that it won't detect resolutions correctly, I'm using a 1080p monitor via HDMI, and it'll only enable 1024x768 or 1280x1024 in the display properties.

Also the performance is still pretty bad, huge tearing, and very slow with 3D.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

The builtin driver only supports 1024x768 resolution, my device native resolution is 1366x768, hence wanting to install the intel driver. I have tried these drivers because these three versions are all that seems to exist for these chipsets. I have reached out to toshiba who only have access to the drivers I have already tried...

I'm hoping intel will chime in on this so I can find out what I can do. Namely if intel intend on releasing a beta driver for this chipset, when it is coming and if they are aware of this particular issue or not.

That said, I will get the release candidate when it is (hopefully) released next week and that may prove effective with the 1077 driver from intel.

We'll see...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

n2800平板安装GMA3600显卡驱动后无法在win8 CP下运行metro应用

N2800 Tablet after installing GMA3600 drivers cannot run under the win8 CP Metro

Message was edited by: Al Hill

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

...and still crashing with today's Release Preview

No 'in-the-box' drivers for GMA 3600/3650 either... Cmon Intel, please sort this mess out...

0 Kudos
BF_
New Contributor II

That's a bad sign. It was also a bad sign that it wasn't put in Windows Update months ago. How old is GMA 3600?

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

This review doesn't give much hope at the moment :-

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5849/loigic-supply-lgx-ag150-fanless-system-review-cedar-trail-or-cedar-trial AnandTech - Logic Supply LGX AG150 Fanless System Review: Cedar Trail or Cedar Trial?

There are major issues with the GMA 3600/3650 drivers when they can't even run Aero Glass on the desktop without juddering all over the place...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Just want to say I am experienced same issue as well with GMA 3600 as well. With release preview and consumer preview version of Windows 8. Please respond, Intel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have heard from a vendor that has a close relationship with Intel, that a driver should be available around August (Q3 2012) for this chipset.

Fingers crossed! Guess I can do without metro apps until then

Intel guys - can you please confirm or deny this at all?

Thanks

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

If true, your a star warped_foobie, at least it gives us a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel, that's all we ask for!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yeah I intend on trying it today with the tablet - but after your post I do not have high hopes.

Intel - Please Respond to this! We need to know where these drivers are at, and when they expect to be released. I am going to go back through my more 'official' channels (hardware partner) but it would be nice to find out on here so the public know about it as well!

Come on guys! Robert_U can you assist?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I got the same problem.

Hopefully intel can give us a beta driver for win 8 as soon as possible!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Yep agreed, even just a beta would be great just as long as we could get Metro apps to run.

idata
Employee

So, come on Intel, AMD is faster than you guys!

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

Thanks for the Linux drivers Intel, but we are still waiting for some Win8 support also!

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

Moving this thread to the Graphics Forum as this forum is for Beta Driver discussion.

0 Kudos