Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14536 Discussions

i7 2600k Processor Running at Questionably High Temperatures

idata
Employee

I was just wondering about my processor, it seems to be running at unhealthy temps, I dunno, I'm not very knowledgeable about computers but I think it's running to high. I downloaded the program RealTemp and took a screenshot so anybody with knowledge about this can help.

I just booted up my computer and ran RealTemp just sitting there for about an hour and this is the results:

0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Employee

Can u profide some more info

Like what case,cooler,mainboard, are u using

And i would sugest u check the temps with coretemp instead of Realtemp.

And see what it says.

Ps does your cooler feel hot to the touch ?

idata
Employee

What we have available is the processor's Thermal Specification.

The thermal specification (also known as TCase) for your Intel® Core™ i7 processor I7- 2600K is 72.6°C: http://ark.intel.com/products/52214/Intel-Core-i7-2600K-Processor-(8M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz) http://ark.intel.com/products/52214/Intel-Core-i7-2600K-Processor-(8M-Cache-up-to-3_80-GHz)

The TCase is a number established by Intel® as a point of reference in order to understand what could be expected as per normal processor temperature.

Anything from the Tcase and below will be the expected temperature of the processor in normal use, anything that doesn't stress out the processor (watching movies, burning CDs, browsing the internet, creating documents, etc.) When the processor is stressed out meaning that you are running heavy processor applications that take control of the CPU or uses it at 100% the temperature will go beyond the Tcase. It can perfectly reach 90 to 95 degrees and the processor will still be OK. The cooling fan is in charge to keep that temperature there.

If the processor temperature reaches 100°C or more it will send a signal to the motherboard to shut down to prevent mayor damages and most likely it won't be possible to turn the computer back in until it cools down.

The normal processor temperature will depend on the chassis type, the hardware involved and the location of the computer, and it usually is lower than the Tcase.

Third party software results are not supported since it is very common for this tools to provide inaccurate results since usually this is not fully optimized for any processor in specific; it is more generic. We recommend you consulting with your motherboard manufacturer for an approved monitoring software.

Please feel free to run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool which will let you know if your processor is properly operating:http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031726.htm

Furthermore, you may want to make sure the motherboard in use has the latest BIOS version loaded for a proper processor recognition.

idata
Employee

The case is a Cyberpower PC case from Futureshop I'm not sure what model specifically it has six fans and my room is quite cool, around 18°c on average.

I was playing an older game (not sure if it makes a diffirence how old a game is) and it started getting choppy so I reset my computer and on the reboot it beeped a few times and a little message said that the CPU was hot, (I can't remember exactly what it said but basically my CPU was too hot).

I've tried a few different CPU temp reading programs (to come up with some sort of avarage) and after running a game for about ten minutes they all read in the low to mid 90's.

I'll try updating my BIOS and see if that helps.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

If u assembled the machine your self i would sugest to refit your cpu cooler.

If not i would take it back to the shop.

Check to make sure your cpu cooler ismounted straight, and if u use the stock cooler all 4 off the pushpins

are pushed correctly true your mainboard. Seen more than one where

one of the pins was not in the hole but on the mainboard.

Pushing the cooler up and away from the cpu.

Also take a look @ the fan.

At 90c your should clearly see it moving or hear it Runn @ least!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yes I'm taking it back to the manufacturer, I'm no computer expert. Thanks for help.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Ok, so here was the problem I figured it out! I should have just taken the side panel off to begin with. Ok I have a liquid cooled computer and the fan on the side panel was rubbing against the hose and now the coolant is sprayed all over the inside of my computer! I just thought my fan was loud! I feel like such an idiot! It was a factory built computer so I think they'll fix it, they should, it's not my fault they put the hose and fans too close together.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

make sure they replace all parts wich have bin in contact with the coolant.

mainboard, graphicscard, and so on.

u dont want your parts to die in like one year and them saying its not their fault.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Yeah, that's a good idea, I didn't think about that at all. I don't think there's any on the MB maybe a tiny bit, but the graphics card is pretty covered.

0 Kudos