Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Authentication errors with PEAP-MSCHAPV2 and Intel drivers

idata
Employee

Hello,

I administer a large organization, and we're seeing some strange behaviour from clients with Intel wireless drivers (albeit only Windows 64-bit confirmed at the moment).

When a user logs into our wireless (PEAP-MSCHAPv2 with IAS (production) and NPS (development) backends), sometimes the authentication works first time. Other times, the wireless login prompt bubble immediately re-displays, asking for the users to authenticate again.

At first glance, it seems that the user simply mistyped their password, and so many people don't notice. But now we've actually isolated it as some kind of bug, as it is happening far too often, and I can reproduce it if I log in/out of the wireless a number of times.

When the issue occurs, an event is logged in the Windows System log, like the following:

Log Name: System

Source: NETwNs64

Date: 1/05/2012 1:49:04 PM

Event ID: 5060

Task Category: None

Level: Information

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: HAWK

Description:

The description for Event ID 5060 from source NETwNs64 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\NDMP12

Intel(R) WiFi Link 5300 AGN

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

My colleague, who has a much newer Dell than I (and a different Intel wireless card) receives the same error message.

Can anyone shed light as to what event 5060 actually means? It would greatly help me diagnose the issue. I am running the latest Intel drivers, and my Windows 7 64-bit machine is up-to-date. Any other information you think might be relevant would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

This is a known issue with Cisco Secure Access Control System 5.2 "Supplicant initiating an EAP-TLS reauthentication with Session Ticket". Fixed in ACS 5.3, Patch 9, and ACS 5.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
idata
Employee

I have downloaded and installed Wireless_15.6.1_Ds64.exe

Windows device manager is reporting driver version 15.4.1.1

There are still multiple 5060 errors each minute.

Do you have another suggestion?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Please check your private messages inbox. Thanks!

0 Kudos
SMerr2
Beginner

We are also having this same event, 5060, with the Intel Centrino(R) Ultimate-N 6300 AGN. I have installed the driver, 15.6.1.6, disabled all power saving features for battery and plugged in, reviewed the logs on our AP's and what I believe I am seeing is an authentication error,

BlackListed - Client '24:77:03:xx:xx:xx (XXX.XXX.XXX, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)' which was associated with interface '802.11a/n' of AP 'xx-xx' is excluded. The reason code is '4(802.1X Authentication failed 3 times.)'

The computers will be online, sitting at a desk, working, plugged into power or battery. A period of time passes, screen saver comes on, computer locks, log on to unlock it, network returns or doesn't, random. Also, to throw a wrench in it, I was surfing these forums yesterday and BAM, lost connection while actively browsing. the semi-consistent methods of regaining access is to put the system to sleep and wake it up, or just reboot. At times, the network will work its self out if I wait several minutes.

The system I am testing with does have Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client 3.1.01065 installed, but not on an active VPN session.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm having issues with this as well. I have one computer with the 6300 wifi card that connects fine with the Intel connection manager.

I have another laptop with a 6200 card that cannot connect with Cisco AnyConnect. I know the network is set up and working but it's telling me "authentication failed"

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Thank you for posting.

Since the issue occurs when using the Cisco* AnyConnect software we would suggest you to get support from them.

We will provide assistance if you use Intel® Proset/Wireless Connection Utility only.

0 Kudos
SMerr2
Beginner

Haha, so typical of big business these days. Throw it over the fence! I didn't say it was during a VPN session, I added that comment only as a sideline to tell you what other networking applications I have installed.

Let me say what is happening again, on many systems here,

We are also having this same event, 5060, with the Intel Centrino(R) Ultimate-N 6300 AGN. I have installed the driver, 15.6.1.6, disabled all power saving features for battery and plugged in, reviewed the logs on our AP's and what I believe I am seeing is an authentication error,

BlackListed - Client '24:77:03:xx:xx:xx (XXX.XXX.XXX, xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)' which was associated with interface '802.11a/n' of AP 'xx-xx' is excluded. The reason code is '4(802.1X Authentication failed 3 times.)'

The computers will be online, sitting at a desk, working, plugged into power or battery. A period of time passes, screen saver comes on, computer locks, log on to unlock it, network returns or doesn't, random. Also, to throw a wrench in it, I was surfing these forums yesterday and BAM, lost connection while actively browsing. the semi-consistent methods of regaining access is to put the system to sleep and wake it up, or just reboot. At times, the network will work its self out if I wait several minutes.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have also troubles to connect with my university network.

First at all this surface support of you joe is like you write noting but its slightly worser than noting.....

THe only way I can connect more stable than no connection is to disable all intel programms in the autostart and disable all intel processes before i delete my network connection and set it new. before i set it new i disable the adapter and reenable it . after i did the new connection set up i do it again. after that restart computer and it will work for some hours. if i get troubles i disable and enable adapter again noting else to have a stable connection for some hours again.

Whats the easyest solution for Intel? Always blame other companies for there own failure...This is really arrogant Intel and will not be a good move to hold customers in future..

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Thank you for posting.

We will take a look into this issue.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

This is a known issue with Cisco Secure Access Control System 5.2 "Supplicant initiating an EAP-TLS reauthentication with Session Ticket". Fixed in ACS 5.3, Patch 9, and ACS 5.

0 Kudos