Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 won't connect to WPA or WPA2

idata
Employee

I just bought a Dell L502X and I can't connect via WPA or WPA2. It works fine if I change it to WEP or Unsecured, but with WPA I always get "Windows was unable to connect to [my SSID]".

My hardware:

- Dell XPS L502X, Windows 7 Ultimate, Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 wireless adapter

- Linksys WRT54GL, Tomato 1.28

I also have a Macbook Pro, Dell D630, PS3, and Wii- none of which have any problems connecting to my router using WPA2. I've brought my laptop to a friend's house who is running a WRT54GL with Tomato 1.26, same problem, likewise with an old Linksys Wireless-B router I have that's running default firmware (and I even factory reset it prior to testing, only configuration change I made was setting the wireless security to WPA).

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless driver about 10 times, from the CD that came with the laptop, from the Dell site, and from the Intel site.

Windows 7 has all the latest update installed including SP1.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
28 Replies
idata
Employee

For the same Problem, I returned my Dell XPS L502x laptop with intel centrino advanced N-6230. I brought the another one, not surprisingly the problem repeated. I am heading to return the second Dell XPS L 502x laptop with intel centrino advanced N-6230. I am not sure where the problem is but some defecive hardware or software series is produced. If you find any solution, please post.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Interesting, thank you for your reply. I'll be sure to post here if I find a solution, you please do the same.

I was thinking about returning this laptop for a replacement too, but I guess that won't solve the problem. I'm glad I know that now.

Since I posted this, I've had Dell In-Home support come and replace my wireless card, and I've tried reformatting the hard drive and installing my own copy of Win7 Ultimate on this laptop (it came from Dell with Home Premium). I also brought my laptop to my office, which is in a large hospital using commercial-grade Cisco equipment on WPA-Enterprise. None of these things solved the problem. I'll keep searching.

Another interesting note, I have finally gotten this laptop to connect to an Apple AirPort Extreme using WPA-Personal. The one difference I can think of between this access point and all the others I've tried is that it's Wireless-N. All the others were G (and one I tried was B).

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sure, I will let you know, if i find a solution.

Here is the problem with my internet connection. I think I am able to show the problem with intel centrino advanced N-6230 by comparing D-Link N-150.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EagXfV29fLk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EagXfV29fLk

Any possible solution for this - Help needed.

Thank you

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I also have a Dell L502x and am having the same issue. I called Dell last night and after an hour an a half we finally found out that there is a problem with those wireless cards. Dell is supposed to be calling me back on May 2nd hopefully with a fix.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

That's great news that they recognize that there's a problem. Please post here when you hear back!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I dont have any luch with this problem. I exchanged the laptop again. The problem repeated. this time i tried to document the problem. you can watch the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI4dykDuDL8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI4dykDuDL8 .

I hope we have a solution for this.

Thanks

Ravi

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Spoke with Dell yesterday. They had me do a factory restore. It wasn't so bad since my data was still all on my desktop. But I have been having to reinstall all the Windows updates. So far I haven't had the problem yet. But we will see. They are supposed to call me to follow up. I did notice one thing as I was trying to pair an old bluetooth mouse. It was asking me for some kind of a pin which I had never had to use before. I seem to remember that I didn't install that mouse right away and the problems started happening about the time I did. I had a hard time getting it to pair. I am using a wired mouse right now and haven't seen the issue yet. I wonder if there is something wonky with the bluetooth on the card.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I feel your pain..in a Toshiba Portégé R830-10R! Same wireless card, same problem..

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Mine did connect to the Netgear WNDR3700.

Worked fine.

Until windows 7 installed the updates... So im gonna look which update is causing this problem.

Probably your issue is in the same update.

Mine internet is almost broken down since that update.. Time outs and pings more then 400ms.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm not sure if it's related, but I had/have issues with 6230 and my Netgear WNDR3700 router. I "fixed" it by disabling any power-saving on my 6230. Kind of sad, I hope there's either a driver fix for the card or firmware fix for the router. This is the post that helped me: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63903 http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63903

Hope you have similar luck or someone fixes the real issue.

/e

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I disabled power saving on the 6230, uninstalled all Windows updates and still this problem exists.

Might have to call Dell and complain...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OK setting 'maximum performance' in the advanced power settings did help a lot.

I put all Windows updates back on and it's working.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Got no chance to use WPA-Enterprise. Intel 6230GN Using WPA or WPA2-Personal works fine with 300Mbps router.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I also have a brand new Dell L502X laptop with Centrino Advanced-N 6230 and have been having a lot of BSOD while connecting to Wi Fi.

The BSOD shows DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and that the bug is related to NETwNs64.sys. Has anyone had any luck solving this issue?

Any ideas or suggestions will be really appreciated.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm still having no luck. Below are the errors that are being generated in Event Viewer (several connection attempts, switching back and forth between WPA and WPA2, AES and TKIP):

WLAN AutoConfig service failed to connect to a wireless network.

Network Adapter: Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6230

Interface GUID: {xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx}

Connection Mode: Automatic connection with a profile

Profile Name: a_series_of_tubes

SSID: a_series_of_tubes

BSS Type: Infrastructure

Failure Reason:Dynamic key exchange did not succeed within configured time

Wireless security failed.

Network Adapter: Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6230

Interface GUID: {xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx}

Local MAC Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Network SSID: a_series_of_tubes

BSS Type: Infrastructure

Peer MAC Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Reason: Dynamic key exchange did not succeed within configured time

Error: 0x0

Those errors don't really mean much to me. Anyone else?

idata
Employee

FYI- I've had a bit of a breakthrough.

I resolved the connection problem on 3 of the Tomato routers I was testing by disabling afterburner mode within the Tomato firmware. I'm not sure why this was blocking WPA connection with my Dell L502X, because all of my other devices work fine, but the L502X started working on each router as soon as I disabled afterburner on each one.

The problem I was having at the office using WPA-Enterprise is that I forgot to disable "validate server certificate" in the PEAP settings when I set up the connection on my laptop. That was just a configuration mistake on my part, but since the error was the same I assumed it was releated.

I also purchased a new Linksys e4200 router, and was able to connect to that just fine using factory settings and the security mode changed to WPA2-Personal.

I still don't know why I can't connect to my old Linksys Wireless-B router using factory settings, but I'm not going to worry about that since it's pretty ancient anyway. Overall the Intel 6230 seems to be extraordinarily finicky, and I'm guessing I could get it to work on the B router if I spent a lot of time messing with the configuration, but since I don't need that router I'm not going to bother.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, your input was helpful.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@amay83: Thank you so much about mentioning the Afterburner feature! I had enabled this years ago and probably would never have figured out that this is the cause!

After disabling this feature in the Tomato interface, everything worked nicely again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Installed the 6230 into a Dell XPS 15 L501X, replaced a Wireless-N 1000. Ping times shot to 400 MS and eventually the laptop disconnects, 6230 is also causing other laptops on the same AP to fail.

Reverteted to older Wireless-N 1000 and everything returned to normal.

Updated drives and uninstalled/reinstalled drivers, nothing corrected this problem.

Running Windows 7 64bit, connecting to Verizon / Westell SFU 9100EM configured with WPA

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I had exactly the same issue with my new Dell, Intel N 6300 AGN wireless card. Kind of still do.

With WEP it connect to router just fine, but not with WPA or WPA2, all other laptops and smartphones connect without any problems using WPA.

It sounds very strange, but this is how I finally got it working:

After I had entered security key for wireless and it was trying to connect to router I changed Multicasting options on router to off. It does not matter whether I change it on or off, but at that very moment I was able to connect and can connected after reboot just fine as well.

I did more testing and uninstalled drivers and the issue occurred again (with Multicasting being off this time, as at first I I thought it was the reason), So I tried changing the setting once again when connecting and it worked again!

This does not make sense to me nor can I use such workaround anywhere else but home...
0 Kudos