Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Need help with screen settings for Intel HD Graphics

idata
Employee

Im sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question so if I am in the wrong place can someone direct me to the right one. Well I have a Gigabyte motherboard hooked up to my 60" Sony tv thru the Intel HD Graphics and however i change the slider settings in graphics properties>general settings>vertical, it just wont close that gap that is between the beginning of my TV screen to the computer screen.

https://picasaweb.google.com/queequeeg78/HTPC?authkey=Gv1sRgCOf4_sr-wYbQQw# 5571804459244945826 https://picasaweb.google.com/queequeeg78/HTPC?authkey=Gv1sRgCOf4_sr-wYbQQw# 5571804459244945826 <--my tv gap. If I change the vertical, then the bottom moves up below my tv screen but the top will keep getting that gap bigger and bigger. What I need is what my computer monitor has, that veritcal shift of the entire screen.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
idata
Employee

I have the opposite problem, check http://users.telenet.be/bobsh/tv_tn.jpg http://users.telenet.be/bobsh/tv_tn.jpg .

When I change the slider settings to fit the screen, the fonts don't look sharp anymore.

Updating to the latest drivers there is an option called "Monitor/TV Settings". This is set to "limited" but when I change it to "standard" or "full" the screen suddenly fits well and sharp!

BUT for some reason it doesn't save those changes. Every time I start my PC (ASRock Core100HT), I have to change that setting to get a normal view.

Please help because I'm getting desperate...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have a similar issue with a recent motherboard (H67 based). With the VGA cable I have big black bars at both sides of the TV and the image is distorted. If I use HDMI all borders are cut (up, down, left, right) because of overscan. It's almost impossible to set it up properly. Why all the trouble? When I had an nVidia card I didn't have such issues. It was setting the resolution and it worked wonderfully.

And not to say that using HDMI with the last driver just crashes Windows 7 x64.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Same overscan problem here with a brand new Intel DH67BL board connected to a Sony KDL46-EX500 LCD TV. It is really annoying especially because the problem goes away if I change the "Quantization Range" to any other setting in "Monitor/TV Settings". Only problem is that this setting goes back to standard after every resolution change or reboot. Since this is my HTPC and unusable right now I will put my good old AMD card in the box till Intel comes up with a decent solution.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am having the same issue on a Sony 46HX800. All I need to change is the quantization setting and then everything fits on the screen perfectly. A resolution change later and it starts to overscan again.

I am glad I found this thread, I thought I was going crazy for a while. I assume this is a driver issue as my trusty Nvidia card works perfectly. Hopefully Intel can get their act together and fix this issue quickly. It turns an otherwise perfect HTPC platform into something unusable.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Count me in for this as well. I have a Core i5 2500S based HTPC (using Gigabyte H67A-UD3H motherboard) and am relying on Intel HD graphics for HDMI 1.4 output to my Samsung C8700 tv set. Each reboot or resolution change (and perhaps also refresh rate change, as I sometimes switch between 50Hz and 24Hz) switches the "Quantization Range" setting to "Limited". I have no issues really with crispy fonts or gaps on the display; my issue with this is that it appears that there is significant 'banding' in color gradients when that happens. If I switch the setting to "Full", there is a significant improvement in this, and most banding goes away. This is especially noticable in darker areas. It seems that "Full" also produces a "deeper" black. It is really annoying.

I was thinking that this setting was being 'autodetected' but it seems the driver also offers a 'device detect' setting. This doesn't stick either.

0 Kudos
JKett2
Novice

I had a similar issue with my Samsung 52" TV. I found the issue to be the fact that on my HDMI input and the TV set to 16:9 it just wasnt lining the display up correctly. I fixed my issue by changing my resolution format to "JustScan" - which i assume is some automatic format instead of hardcoding the 16:9 format. Might be worth checking your TV for a setting other than 16:9

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm having the same issue, but might be able to shed some light on this and maybe provide a temporary workaround.

I have a Sony 60" LED TV (KDL-60EX700) and an Intel DH67GD motherboard. I'm using HDMI as my display. After a resolution change, if I set the "Quantization Range" to Default/Full, the screen fits perfectly. Oddly enough, if I change it back to "Limited," the screen still fits just fine. What I found by playing about with the settings was that under Display > General Settings, there is a "Scaling" setting. By default, this setting is set to "Maintain Display Scaling." What I found through trial-and-error, is that if I set it to "Customize Aspect Ratio" and set both the horizontal and vertical scaling to 60, the screen fits fairly well (I think I'm only losing about 2 pixels). Additionally, using the "Customize Aspect Ratio" setting, reboots and resolution changes don't seem to bring back the overscan.

Now, I have no idea what "60" represents unless it happens to relate to the size of the TV. I haven't tried it on another TV.

Either way, Intel really needs to get a grip on this. I, just like previously mentioned in this thread, had been previously using an HP laptop with an NVIDIA card as my HTPC which worked perfectly.

On an unrelated note, has anyone tried getting 5.1 audio from the optical SPDIF port? My receiver lights up as if it's receiving a 5.1 signal, but I'm getting no audio on my rear speakers when watching a DVD or testing surround sound.

Edit: I resolved my audio issue.

Message was edited by: Hossy

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm working with Intel technical support on this and will update the thread when I get more information.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

They told me that there are multiple graphics drivers available for the same card (in additional to the latest/previous versions).

From the Download Center (downloadcenter.intel.com), choose:

Product family Graphics Product line Processor graphics Product name 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 3000/2000

I will be trying this driver tonight and will update this thread.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I am another recent Sandy Bridge user (i3-2100, Gigabyte H67 Mobo) with HDMI running to a Sony Bravia TV (HX800) that is e3xperiencing this overscan issue. I've had exactly the same experience as the previous posters, in that if I change the driver resolution to 1920x1080 (which mt TV supported fine with nVidia) then I get overscan across all 4 borders, but, if I set the Scaling to Custom and the Vert/Hor sliders to 60, everything fit. Annoyingly, as also previously mentioned, if I change the Quantization setting to Full, the desktop fits perfectly to the screen without any need for overscan tweaking, BUT, the setting doesn't still following a reboot.

Hossy wrote:

They told me that there are multiple graphics drivers available for the same card (in additional to the latest/previous versions).

From the Download Center (downloadcenter.intel.com), choose:

Product familyGraphics Product lineProcessor graphics Product name2nd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 3000/2000

Certainly no offence to you Hossy, but this advice from Intel is ridiculous. Do they think people haven't tried this already? I've installed the last 3 driver versions from the Intel site that you list in the hope of fixing this issue, but it's always the same. This is definitely a driver problem, and I cannot believe it has taken Intel so long to (not) address it. A common link seems to be the fact that everyone here (mostly) is using a Sony TV.

I hope the right Intel people are reading these threads and can finally do something to fix this issue. As it stands, I'm thinking of getting a cheap nVidia standalone card (also because I've found the Intel deinterlacing crap), which is really annoying, because the whole reason I went with SB for my HTPC was to avoid having to do this.

Rich

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

OK.... so I've just finished reading some other threads on this issue and found this:

In the 'Screen' settings on the Bravia, there is an option called 'Auto Display Area' – it was previously set to 'On'. Turning this off and changing the next option 'Display Area' to 'Full Pixel' made the desktop actually fit the screen.

I'm at work and haven't had a chance to try it yet, but will when I get home. Hope other people have some luck.

Rich

PS. If this works I may have to apologise for my Intel bagging

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Rich,

I just tested your solution and it worked perfectly. I reverted my Scaling setting to "Maintain Display Scaling" and tested it. The image output displays correctly and now I don't have the loss of the 2 pixels like I had with the settings of 60/60. I imagine the problem was that there were two auto-detecting technologies at work and one lost out. Thanks for the post Rich!

Here are the specific steps for everyone to follow:

Using your Sony TV's remote:

Press Menu.

Scroll left to Settings.

Then select Picture & Display > Screen

Set the following:

Auto Display Area = Off

Display Area = Full Pixel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Rich, I agree about the advice from Intel. In fact, the different "route" you take to get to the graphics driver doesn't actually give you a different driver. It's the same driver that I got by going the route of using my motherboard's model number. Although, what do you expect from level 1 tech support? 🙂

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Changing that setting on the Sony TV worked for me. Thank you so much, I thought i'd have to buy another video card!!

0 Kudos