cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updating Firmware in G2 X25-M 80GB via USB Connection

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hey guys, I haven't been able to find a good answer to my problem so I was hoping that the community could help me out.

I bought an Intel G2 X25-M 80GB SSD for a new computer that is on order. I figured that I would be pro-active and flash the SSD with the latest firmware before the new computer gets here. My current computer only has one drive bay so I put the SSD in to an external enclosure. I downloaded the .ISO of the current firmware and burned it to a DVD. I then shut down the computer and started it back up with the USB connection for the SSD installed and the .ISO running as the boot drive.

The firmware update started up as expected and I was able to answer 'y' to both questions. The system then began to search for the SSD but after running it 5 times, it either hung or couldn't find the SSD.

After messing with it for a bit I went in to Vista and made sure that the drive was initialized and formatted (it now is).

I tried again and it still didn't work.

Does the SSD have to be physically in the computer in order to get this update to work? If that is the case, then I need to remove my primary (only) HDD from the computer, insert the SSD with the computer off and the .ISO in the DVD drive, then start the computer, correct? If that is the case, it is a giant pain in the butt.

Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. If there is a way to flash the firmware while in the enclosure, I would really prefer to go that route. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Also, I installed the toolbox on the machine and it doesn't recognize the formatted drive as an Intel SSD. I'm assuming that it has something to do with the firmware issue but I don't know for sure.

1 REPLY 1

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, the USB is ssking to update the ssd on the 'C' drive... My bet is you can checnge this by editing any batch files that you would see on the primary usb drive.

In any event it is simple to just pop your hd out for a few min, pop in the ssd, upgrade and then replace the ssd with the hd again.