I have been using a RAID-10 array since a couple of months and it worked nicely (Read speed was about 168MB/s) until recently.
When I switched on the computer, the array status was REBUILDING. It took about 24 hours to get it done and got back the "NORMAL" status. However, despite the fact all seems to be OK from the Intel monitoring dashboard, the array performances are now dramatically poor (average READ speed of the array is 1.6MB/s) and it is practically unusable although all my data are available.
1) How can I troubleshoot the cause of the issue since all seems to be OK from the Intel monitoring dashboard? Are there any logs somewhere?
2) Do you think this is a hardware or software issue?
3) Is it possible to "break" the RAID to test the speed of my disks individually, but without lossing my data?
Thanks a lot in advance for your help!
Here below my configuration :
Mother Board: Asus P8P67
If you reset disk to Non-Raid, the information on a RAID 10 volume will not be accessible. You can break a mirror configuration without losing information but it does not happen on RAID 10
The fact that read speed decreased, it could be considered as hardware issue.
When you have Intel® Rapid Storage installed on the computer, the only log available is the system report generated within rapid storage software.
Thanks for your post back!
I understand my data won't be accessible if I set the disks to "non RAID", but will they be accessible back again once I will set them back to "RAID10"?
My idea would be to unpair the disks, test them individually, identify the faulty unit, reconfigure the RAID10 back again (and get back access to my data), and then replace the faulty unit through the standard procedure.
Would this work, or what else would you suggest to identify the faulty disk, so that I can replace it?
I would be careful and backup anything that might be important if possible. I had 4 WD Raptors in a RAID 1 on my older ASUS A8N-SLI board and didn't have any problems for years. Then I upgraded to a ASUS P6T-SE with the Intel ICH10R, setup two arrays - a RAID 0 for the OS only and a RAID 10 for all the files I thought I would never loose.
After replacing a drive, rebuilding both arrays, I had accidently booted with a cable disconnected on another drive and have lost absolutely everything.
All of the recovery software that I've tried will only locate the RAID 0 array which is pointless because those files are corrupt anyway.
I can't say you won't loose any data, but you shouldn't as I've taken drives out and looked at them and gone from RAID to Sata on my board
I have finally fixed my issue. Here is the way I did, so that other people in my case can benefit from my learnings
Hope this helps!